White Chicken Chili
Fall is stalling here in Texas! In spite of the fact leaves are changing colors and the calendar page has flipped to November, we somehow managed to reach record high temperatures this past weekend. As a girl who waits all year for a nip in the air, a snuggly sweater and fireside supper, I decided to take matters into my own hands. If fall won’t come to me, I’ll conjure it up in my crockpot!
I dusted off one of my tried and true cold-weather favorites and made up a batch of White Chicken Chili.
Super filling with just the right amount of heat, this dish is one that never disappoints. The star of this chili is Nature’s Rancher Chicken Breasts.
One package coupled with some white beans (Cannellini or Great Northern) and chicken broth will get you started. The supporting characters can vary depending on your preferences. I love the sauteed onion, garlic, and jalapeno combo, but sometimes I toss in a can of diced tomatoes and green chilies or a little salsa verde just to change things up. Finish it off with salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne to taste.
Quick and easy, everything comes together in a crock pot, simmering on high for 3-4 hours or low and slow for 6-8 hours… leaving me more time to snuggle up in front of the fireplace!
- 3-4 cups Nature’s Rancher chicken breasts
- 2 (15-oz) cans white beans (Cannellini or Great Northern) – rinsed and drained
- 1 (4-oz) can green chilies
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 TBS canola or olive oil
- 1 onion - diced
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 jalapeno (if you like it spicy!)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- diced avocado
- chopped fresh cilantro
- shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Slowly cook onion, garlic, and jalapeno until tender.
- Combine chicken broth and 1 can of beans in the crock pot. Cook approximately 15 minutes, and puree mixture in a blender or with an emulsion blender. Return mixture to crock pot. (This step is optional, but it gives the chili a thicker, creamier consistency.)
- Add whole chicken breasts and 4 oz can of green chilies to broth mixture.
- Add cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper and cover.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove chicken, shred and return to broth mixture.
- Add remaining can of beans during the last half hour of cooking.
- Serve warm with desired toppings… the lime is especially good!