There’s No Shame In Simple!
You know what they say…less is more, and that’s certainly the case with tonight’s dinner. Crunchy, creamy, salty, and just a tad sweet…the humble Wedge salad contains a few simple ingredients that come together to form a little slice of heaven! I know some may turn their noses up at this often overlooked classic, but long before kale and arugula stole the spotlight, the Wedge ruled.
So let’s start with the basics – iceberg lettuce. I’m not going to lie, iceberg is not typically my green of choice, but for this salad it’s perfect! Those crisp layers of goodness add amazing texture to the dish and once quartered, the ridges do a bang up job of giving the creamy dressing a place to land! Unlike some greens, you’re looking at minimal effort when it comes to prep. Start by removing any wilted outer leaves (usually taking off the first four will suffice). To core, firmly bump the head (core side down) on a hard surface, then simply grab the core and twist to dislodge. Give the entire head a good rinse under cool running water. Fill the cored out area with water, invert and let drain. Pat dry. You don’t even have to pull out your salad spinner for this one! Once the lettuce has drained, give it the old “one-two” slice and it’s ready to dress! Not much chopping required, a simple quarter cut is all you need.
Although normally topped with a mayonnaise and sour cream based blue cheese dressing, I prefer a slimmed down version I created myself using low fat Greek yogurt, low fat buttermilk, and reduced-fat blue cheese. I like to give it a little extra “zing” by adding lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and a bit of white wine vinegar.
And then we get to the good stuff! Salad toppings are an absolute weakness for me. Croutons…check. Nuts…check. Dried fruits…check. You name it, I like it on my salad, but when it come to a Wedge, think sleek. Don’t clutter it up with eggs, olives or anything else for that matter! I may sound hard core about this, but I promise you, it’s the truth! The only real requirements when it comes to a true Wedge salad are some juicy tomatoes, a mild red onion, and of course, BACON! Strategically placed on top, a handful of crumbled Nature’s Rancher Uncured, No Sugar Hickory Bacon acts as the crowning glory for this dish. Whole30 approved and Paleo friendly, this minimally processed bacon is sugar and additive free.
So, there you have it. A basic beauty of a dish without a pretentious bone in her body! The understated Wedge salad is an amazing combination of flavors that never goes out of style. Watch out kale… this timeless classic isn’t going anywhere. She may not be fancy, but she’s full of flavor and here to stay!
- For the dressing;
- 1/3 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (divided)
- For the salad;
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce
- 6 slices Nature’s Rancher Uncured No Sugar Hickory Bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- Whisk together yogurt, buttermilk, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and white wine vinegar. Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Stir in ¼ cup blue cheese. Cover and chill.
- Core and clean lettuce. To quarter, cut head in half starting from cored end. Place halves cut-side down on cutting board. Cut each half in half again.
- Drizzle dressing over lettuce. Top with bacon, onion, tomato, and remaining blue cheese. Serve on a chilled plate.