Blackberry Bacon Grilled Cheese
Happiness is eating a good ol’ grilled cheese sandwich at my mom’s kitchen table.
Or at least it is for me. In fact, happiness is eating pretty much anything at Mom’s table. If your mom is anything like mine, she actually serves up love on a plate. I’m not quite sure how she does it, but the amazing stuff that comes out of her kitchen has the power to bring comfort, healing, and pure delight. And although she’s no Julia Child, (it’s ok…she’d totally admit to that), there’s something magical that happens when she cooks. Honestly, it’s a real labor of love for her. Mom always seems to know just what you need and her dishes wonderfully nourish both body and soul.
So, with Mother’s Day right around the corner, I’ve been racking my brain for a way to turn the tables (pun intended) and serve up something special for her. But how do you compete with that…with love on a plate? Easy…You dish it right back! I decided to have Mom over for lunch this weekend and surprise her with an elevated version of the classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Just my luck, I stumbled upon Cathy Trochelman’s Blackberry Bacon Grilled Cheese recipe on Lemon Tree Dwelling. Jackpot!
This “all grown up” version of a childhood favorite trades out traditional white bread for a rustic sourdough and adds some interest by using a sweet, slightly nutty Swiss in place of the old standby American cheese. To amp things up, I’ll add a few slices of Nature’s Rancher No Sugar Added Hickory Smoked Uncured Bacon …because let’s be honest…bacon makes everything better! Some sweet blackberry jam will serve as the perfect way to balance out the savory components. But why stop there? Finish this glorious specimen of a sandwich off with an unexpected surprise…fresh jalapeno peppers that bring just the right amount of heat without overpowering the dish. Pretty sure that final touch will put me on the road to being Mom’s favorite. (She’s absolutely fearless when it comes to the “heat index”!)
The beauty of this dish really is in its simplicity and, although it may take a little longer than your standard grilled cheese, it’s well worth the wait! So why not get crazy creative with your own version of the perfect gourmet grilled cheese?
- Give your grilled cheese an Italian makeover with a Caprese Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Nature’s Rancher Boneless Skinless Grilled Chicken Breast / Mozzarella / Tomato / Basil / Balsamic Glaze
- When a plain old Sloppy Joe is just not enough, make it a gooey grilled cheese – Nature’s Rancher Ground Bison / Shredded Sharp Cheddar / Sweet & Spicy BBQ Sauce
- The grilled cheese you didn’t know you needed – Nature’s Rancher Turkey Breast / Cranberry Chutney / Brie
Come on… what are you waiting for?! Get busy cooking up a little love in your kitchen!
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 pieces sourdough bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 pieces bacon (cooked) (* I use Nature’s Rancher Hickory Smoked Bacon)
- 1/2 jalapeno sliced (*for less spice, remove seeds)
- 3 Tbsp. blackberry jam
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place bread, butter side down, in skillet.
- Top one piece of bread with cheese, bacon, and jalapeños.
- Top the other piece of bread with blackberry jam.
- Put sandwich together; grill over medium heat, flipping after 4-5 minutes.
- Grill until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted.